Monday, March 26, 2012

Why I Buy: One Nerd's Pull List Part 2

why-i-buy
Every Monday I share my 48 issue pull list, justifying why I buy each comic and throwing in some interior art. This week Is all Dark Horse, as I discuss the 8 titles i pick up from them - Angel and Faith, B.P.R.D., Buffy Season 9, Conan the Barbarian, Dark Horse Presents, The Goon, Lobster Johnson and Usagi Yojimbo.





Comic: Angel and Faith
Publisher: Dark Horse
Writer: Christos Gage
Artist: Rebekah Isaacs
Why I buy: I’m a fan of the Buffy franchise, and while Angel is my least favourite character of the series, this book has been phenomenal. It feel’s more like a Buffy TV show than the Buffy Comic does. Gage is weaving one heck of a tale, and I can’t wait for each issue. Isaacs nails the character likenesses, and keeps the action coherent and readable.
angel_01_0008

Comic: B.P.R.D.
Publisher: Dark Horse
Writer: Mike Mignola, John Arcudi
Artist: James Harren
Why I buy: There aren’t too many that do paranormal horror like Mike Mignola. With Hellboy coming to an end, BPRD is where I get my Mignola fix. This year heralds a whole bunch of BPRD series, including Long Death and the new mini out this Wednesday, Pickens County Horror. Mignola’s world is so rich and full, It’s a pleasure to read.
bprd_02_003

Comic: Buffy Season 9
Publisher: Dark Horse
Writer: Andrew Chambliss
Artist: Georges Jeanty
Why I buy: Because it’s Buffy. Season 8 was this massive epic, a grandiose tale. Season 9 takes a step back, assuming a pace more like the TV show. Chambliss finds the voices of the characters perfectly, and Jeanty’s been drawing Buffy for so long he knows exactly what he’s doing.
buffy_02_004

Comic: Conan the Barbarian
Publisher: Dark Horse
Writer: Brian Wood
Artist: Becky Cloonan
Why I buy: There are a handful of creators whose work I will almost always buy. Brian Wood is one of them. I’ve loved almost everything he’s done, and Conan is no exception. Along with Becky Cloonan, Wood has fashioned an edgy, bold version of the classic character. The pair are re-imagining the classic Robert E Howard tale ‘Queen of the Black Coast’ and it is awesome sauce.
07

Comic: Dark Horse presents
Publisher: Dark Horse
Writer: Various
Artist: Various
Why I buy:
It is the grab bag of style, both art and story, that makes anthologies like Dark Horse Presents so good. It’s like going to a candy store and trying a little bit of everything – there’s some flavours you like more than others, but they’re all good. The sheer diversity in storytelling excites my so much. If you’re not reading Dark Horse Presents, you should be.
dhp_09_040

Comic: The Goon
Publisher: Dark Horse
Writer: Eric Powell
Artist: Eric Powell
Why I buy:
Do you want to read about a depression era thug who fights zombies, hobos, sea monsters, monsters made out of wicker, monsters made out of babies and insane burlesque performers? Then why the hell aren’t you reading The Goon? A delightfully fun period comic, this series manages to blend ridiculous lowbrow humour with surprising dramatic weight. Oh, and there’s also a heck of a lot of punching.
goon_33_005

Comic: Lobster Johnson
Publisher: Dark Horse
Writer: Mike Mignola
Artist: Tony Zonjic
Why I buy: Lobster Johnson allows a second monthly hit of Mignola. It’s great period superhero noir, as well. Set in the early ‘30s, Lobster Johnson is a pulpy, fun crime story about a leather clad vigilante who takes justice into his own hands. A thoroughly entertaining comic.
LJ-01-05

Comic: Usagi Yojimbo
Publisher: Dark Horse
Writer: Stan Sakai
Artist: Stan Sakai
Why I buy: Usagi Yojimbo is a charming tale of an anthropomorphic rabbit ronin who roams around looking for adventure and noble causes to lend his rather extensive samurai skills to. Usagi is a morally upright warrior who lives by a strong code of conduct. You have to love the guy. Sakai has been writing and drawing these books for 25 years, but the great thing about them is you can pick up an issue without having read anything before it, and follow and enjoy it.
uy_144_025

No comments:

Post a Comment