Monday, March 26, 2012

Creator Roundup

shieldCreator
This week, Dan Hipp joins the games, Terry Moore paints, Fabio Moon does fashion, Ben Templesmith bears his teeth, Jamie McKelvie talks Captain Marvel, Eric Canete makes shark soup, Peter Nguyen tries something new, Mike Mignola talks about sleeping, Becky Cloonan talks about her past and process, Francesco Francavilla puts a robot head on a giant gorilla and Craig Thompson sketches from a film.




-
Dan Hipp joins the games:
HUNGERGAMES


- Terry Moore painted Katchoo and talked about Echo going digital:
Katchoo2012Sci-fi fans, gird your loins! Echo will make its digital debut this Wednesday 28th with issues 1-15 and the first three trade paperbacks. The rest of the series, issues 16-30 and the final three trade paperbacks, will hit next Wednesday April 4. This is a correction to my earlier update that the entire series would release the same day.

Echo is the story of a normal woman encountering a highly abnormal problem… a liquid metal armor harboring the power of an atomic weapon. Naturally, the makers of said armor want it back. What follows is a deadly chase across the western desert and a hard look at the darker side of man and science.

Echo won the Harvey Award for Best New Series in 2009.

Trust me, you need to read Echo before you date or marry any nuclear scientists, secret U.S. weapons contractors, Chinese double agents or Ford mechanics. You’ll thank me later.

-
Fabio Moon does some fashion:
6863424096_18cb0b653a_b

-
Ben Templesmith has something to sink your teeth into:
6854591726_e99e7eab49_o

-
Jamie McKelvie talks to Newsarama about the new Captain Marvel costume:
Newsarama: Jamie, strictly as a Carol Danvers fan, how excited are you about the character finally taking on the role of Captain Marvel in her new series?
Jamie McKelvie: Very! She's a great, complex character. I think she should/can be every bit as much of a flagship character as Captain America or Iron Man. Being Ms. Marvel was a great and bold move when the character was created, but there's a sense with it that she is "just" a female counterpart to a male superhero. With the name change, she's standing up there under her own power.

Nrama: Obviously, a huge component is that it's a rare superhero costume — male or female — that actually appears fairly practical. Was that a major part of the goal from the start? In general, would you like to see the mainstream comic book industry move more towards that direction?     
McKelvie: I wouldn't say necessarily practical — but that's a result of us trying to create something that came out of her character and background in the military. I think the best and strongest costumes arise from the character's personality, backstory and so on.

It deserves a much longer answer, but I'd like to see more consideration for what message a female character's design is putting across. I think we, as an industry, are getting better at it though, which is heartening.
Nrama: Though the look is new, there are definite touches of past costumes, most prominently the sash. Was it a priority for you to incorporate elements of what's come before?

McKelvie: Yes — we wanted to provide a link to her past while also striking out with something new. So you've got the basic layout of the first Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel colors, but flipped, the sash from the Warbird look, then the stripes, gloves/boots and collar taking inspiration from her Air Force life. In the same way Captain America's costume is very much superhero, but also tells you he comes from an army background.

-
Eric Canete has some shark soup:
sharksoup_COLOR_UL

-
Peter Nguyen gives Batwoman the brush treatment:
tumblr_m1cne17GuG1qeegaqo1_1280

-
Mike Mignola chat's to CBR:


-
Becky Cloonan talks about her past and process:
It’s true that most of the time I work off a script- and I’ve been really lucky to work with some amazing writers like Steve Seagle, Jhonen Vasquez and my long-time collaborator Brian Wood. But let’s travel back in time a bit, to a time before I had anything published, to give you a look at where I am coming from:

Highschool. The 90’s. I dreamed, with my best friend Jen Quick (
who is drawing comics again, woo!!), of being a comic artist. And here I am now, but not by the path I had imagined for myself. Back then I yearned to create our own epic fantasy and adventure stories, ten— no, ONE HUNDRED BOOKS LONG! :D Of course none of these ideas got off the ground, and I never even made it more than a few chapters in before turning my attention to a new story.

College. Things started changing for me, with my art and stories, influences and inspirations- I think I was about 19 or 20 when I realized that I’d never get anything done if I kept starting and stopping- I had to actually sit down and FINISH A COMIC. So I started with short stories, many of which were one, five, or ten pages. A few were 22 pages. I had short stories in a bunch of the old Meathaus anthologies, and published a ton of mini comics. The idea was to work up my stamina- after all, you can’t finish a marathon without ever having ran before. Baby steps!

-
Francesco Francavilla draws a robot:
the_watchers_RM_low

-
Craig Thompson plays around in his sketchbooks:
womandunes1

-

No comments:

Post a Comment