Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Review: Valen the Outcast #4

images-8
Every week I review Valen the Outcast, and every week I say It's awesome fantasy comics. This issue is no different. Full of great action, as always. Full of bad-ass character moments, as always. Great art, as always. I'm kind of running out of things to say. One thing I love about this comic is how each issue is kind of a story in it's own right, but there is an over arcing story that guides the action. It's a lot like a television series. Normally I would say that's a bad thing - TV is TV, comics are comics, let the other alone. In this case, however, it really works.

What you end up with is an enjoyable comic that doesn't require you to look back at last months issue to figure out what the hell is going on.

In this Issue Cordovan is taken prisoner by a lord who holds a grudge. There is lots of throw-down action as Valen ad Zjanna attmept to bust him out. There are two big reveals in the issue, and the one at the end has me really excited about the series. As if I wasn't already. As much as I've been loving Matteo Scalera's art, this issue I found it a little distracting. He has a very gritty style, with lots of black, and plenty of 'scratch' lines. It suits the book really well, but I think he got a little carried away this month. It's still great, don't get me wrong, just a little distracting.

Valen the Outcast is formulaic, but manages to avoid being cliched. It's great fantasy comics, and well worth a look.
Outcast_04_rev_CVR_COutcast_04_rev_CVR_EOutcast_04_rev_IFCOutcast_04_rev_Page_1Outcast_04_rev_Page_2Outcast_04_rev_Page_3Outcast_04_rev_Page_4Outcast_04_rev_Page_5

No comments:

Post a Comment