Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review: Cover Girls

images-1
Cover Girls is a collection of art from Image comics showcasing the work of Guillem March. I know March mostly from his work on “Gotham City Sirens” and “Catwoman” both books I found great joy in largely in part to their great distinct art styles with a nod to the feminine esthetic. Usually comics are drawn as men would like to see them while Guillem March found a way to showcase the sexyness of the female form while keeping it soft and feminine. I suppose you would say it wasn’t quite as obnoxious as many female superhero books may be these days.



This book has a little of everything and is a great display of March’s work and range. I truly found a great deal of inspiration within the pages. There is a great duality within his works and you can see how subtle changes are made to affect different audiences this is the mark of a storyteller and a great comic artist. I would have liked to see a little more range in the concept and maybe a few more additions of different subjects which would allow for greater insight into March and his process but as a first collection I believe this 80 page book is well worth the buck and I would suggest picking this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment