Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Creator Roundup

shieldcreator
This week Dan Hipp shares his love for Kavinsky, Terry Moore has a snake problem, both Fabio Moon and Sean Phillips both get a bit cheeky, Jeff Lemire get's his bat on, Joe hill's a try hard, Bryan Lee O'Malley answers fans, Jim Rugg likes to show off, Templemsith releases his inner Moff, Eric Canete draws the mysterious, Chrissie Zullo goes Art Nouveau, Becky Cloonan goes black queen, James Harren, Matteo Scalera and Coleen Coover are li'l depressed people and Neil Gaiman speaks about Ray Bradbury.




Dan Hipp shares his love for Kavinsky:
KAVINSKY

Terry Moore shares the cover for Rachel Rising 11:
RR11-COVER-diamond

Fabio Moon gets a bit cheeky:
7156130669_7db94e8270_b

Joe Hill lists 5 things he'd like to try as a writer:
List of five things I’ve never done (successfully) as a writer that I’d like to try:
1. Write a novel in present tense.
2. Write a feature screenplay. (Need not be original – could be an adaptation of an existing work)
3. Write a historical novel.
4. Write a novel on a typewriter.* Preferably for Hard Case crime.
5. Write for an ongoing television series.
* Have done this, but not since I was sixteen years old. Note my emphasis on doing something “successfully.” For my purposes, success indicates getting paid… not because I’m money obsessed, but because a paycheck is an indicator of professional level work. That said, the novel I wrote when I was sixteen – The Bones – was a kind of success for me at the time.

Jeff Lemire previews a couple of pages from a 10 page digital exclusive Batman story :
Batman lemire 2

Jim Rugg is currently holding a show of his notebook art. here's some picks from the show:
legoafro
aphrodite3D
aphrodite3Dlabel
7163875333_0403848046_z

Ben Templesmith offered up this gorgeous Moff Tarken:
7342073544_cb370610fb_b

Brian Lee O'Malley answers the fans:
Q. You’ve self-proclaimed how you were influenced by video games, and it’s obvious just by reading Scott Pilgrim too. I just wanted to know if you’d ever consider writing a video game if you got the chance? Would you like to, or are you sticking to comics for the foreseeable future? What genre would you prefer to write for too?
A. yes. I ‘wrote’ the Scott Pilgrim video game itself (the cutscenes & endings), but I would like to help write and develop another game in the future. That is a goal of mine. When i was young I desperately wanted to develop a JRPG-style game, and I guess that would still be my preferred genre to work in.
Q. What’s your favorite thing about Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (the movie) that wasn’t done in any of the comics?
A. well… in the movie, the fights were… good. Fighting was never my focus in the books, and it was really cool to see all my dumb fight scenes turned into fully choreographed martial arts sequences.
Q. How do you feel about the presence and portrayal of women in comics? As an aspiring comicist (Is that a word?) I cant help but notice how heavily slanted towards men the comic industry is when compared to films and literature, and its kinda bugging me. I liked how Scott Pilgrim and Lost at Sea had a lot for both genders to appreciate and relate to, so I figured you’d have something interesting to say on gender in comics.
A. gender in comics: Sucks. I don’t like to argue about it or point out what sucks about it, because it is self-evident to anyone with a brain, and a lot of people without brains will scream all day that everything is fine. What i’d like to do is try to make comics that are better about gender portrayal and change things in my own small way.

Eric Canete never fails to impress, including this piece:
hertzogg_B&W_UL

Chrissie Zullo makes my day with every new blog post. Check this out:
WItherDeviant

Becky Cloonan did this Conan and Belit for Stephanie Buscema:
tumblr_m5flvfnlqE1qgf3d3o1_1280

Neil Gaiman pays tribute to Ray Bradbury orally and in writing:

Yesterday afternoon I was in a studio recording an audiobook version of short story I had written for 
Ray Bradbury's 90th birthday. It's a monologue called The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury, and was a way of talking about the impact that Ray Bradbury had on me as a boy, and as an adult, and, as far as I could, about what he had done to the world. And I wrote it last year as a love letter and as a thank you and as a birthday present for an author who made me dream, taught me about words and what they could accomplish, and who never let me down as a reader or as a person as I grew up.

Last week, at dinner, a friend told me that when he was a boy of 11 or 12 he met Ray Bradbury. When Bradbury found out that he wanted to be a writer, he invited him to his office and spent half a day telling him the important stuff: if you want to be a writer, you have to write. Every day. Whether you feel like it or not. That you can't write one book and stop. That it's work, but the best kind of work. My friend grew up to be a writer, the kind who writes and supports himself through writing.

Ray Bradbury was the kind of person who would give half a day to a kid who wanted to be a writer when he grew up.

The SindieCate posted some more Li'l Depressed Boy, this time by James Harren, Matteo Scalera and Coleen Coover:
tumblr_m5c7omvSdQ1r1bm5lo1_500
tumblr_m5a4a6DoE01r1bm5lo1_500
tumblr_m57kd4LnKg1r1bm5lo1_500

Sean Phillips gives his fans a gift:
7.6.12

No comments:

Post a Comment