Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review: Buffy Season 9 #6

images-1
There is nothing I love more than a well-written Buffy story. Lets face it in her time as the slayer the girl has tackled a menagerie of issues; both mystically based and “real world” problems. The latest instalment of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series aptly titled ‘Season Nine’ proves that this slayer still has stories to tell and metaphors to develop; all with a plucky charm. This issue seems to stand out a lot to me as we see Buffy in a situation, even I’m not sure, she can charm her way out of; pregnancy.


The writing in the issue is spot on character. You’ll find yourself nostalgic for the Buffy of earlier seasons as they’ve kind of gone back to the basics since the end of season eight. They really are relying on Buffy and her character to pull you through the story, which feels much more locally contained. I specifically like how Buffy decides to deal with her abrupt pregnancy by exploring how a slayer of the past has dealt with a similar situation. Additionally, it’s always nice to see Robyn Wood’s mother, Nikki. I especially liked seeing her go through the “Right of Passage” test that Buffy went through in ‘Helpless’ way back in season three. Andrew Chambliss really has a good grasp on the characters and the way they interact, you would think Joss wrote this himself.

The art in the book is very good. When I first started reading the Buffy comics during season eight I wasn’t really all that fond of Jeanty’s pencil work or how he depicted the characters; but, last month’s issue made me realize how much I would miss him on this book. I mean it was inspiring how Jeanty made the art and story fit so naturally. My favorite part of Jeanty’s work is that he really understands expressions and when dealing with Buffy that’s important. Also of note, this is Phil Noto’s first duty on the cover and I think he’s done a really great job at depicting Buffy and Spike; however, the cover has nothing to do with the actual story within, which is odd for a Buffy cover.

At the end of this issue, I think you’ll realize that this slayer still has plenty of stories to tell and with this creative team I believe she’ll do it well. Judging by the last couple of panels I don’t think the Buffy team is scared to tackle some political issues. There are a few ups and downs in this book (see last months issue) but I really do enjoy the direction they’re taking ‘Season Nine’. If you’re a fan of Buffy and have followed her post season seven adventures I would suggest continuing with the series it’s getting better as they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment