Monday, November 28, 2011

Enter the Hero

cover
Enter The Hero is 135 pages of full color graphic novel by Michael Heitkemper and Simon Butler that will keep you guessing till the end. Coming soon to Arcana Comics, I had the opportunity to interview the author and first time graphic novelist Michael Heitkemper about the project.

Welcome to Comic Book Nerds are Hot, Michael! You're putting the finishing touches on your new book Enter the Hero. What's it about?
First off, thanks so much for the interview.  Now, Enter The Hero is the tale of an unusual super hero whose powers, motives, and even his identity is a secret to everyone, including the reader.  The story revolves around many different characters whose lives unbeknownst to them are in some way connected to the Hero's secrets.  Meanwhile, a mysterious villain is stealthily attacking the city, and the only way for the Hero to stop him is to reveal his secrets.


 


1-4
Why should people buy it?
If you’re a super hero fan, you’re going to love it.  The book really has everything; compelling characters, amazing artwork, and an outstanding story filled with mystery and action.
 
What drew you to write about superheroes?
I would have to say it's the heroics and endless possibilities.  Super heroes are fun to create, and give backgrounds to; I mean there isn't anything you can't do.  You can tear them down, take away their powers, make them transform, destroy their lives, and somehow they still come out on top, and become the Hero that you wanted them to be.     
 
4This is your first graphic novel; what made you want to write comics?
I’ve actually wanted to write a comic book for a very long time.  But I knew that when I finally started it, I wanted to make sure it was the perfect story for comics.  I didn’t want it to have a cliché character, or a likewise plot; it had to be something that was not only worth reading but also worth seeing.  When I came up with Enter The Hero, I originally wrote it as a novel; but before I even began pitching it around to publishers, I realized that I had finally created what I was looking for.  I crossed paths with an incredible artist, Simon Butler, and before long the Hero had an actual image. 
 
The market is pretty tough right now, and even though comics are driving pop culture, they're not selling all that well. How do you go about getting a project off the ground?
1-24
To be honest, it is tough.  We’re a few years into this project now, and it’s all wrapping up very soon.  In the beginning, we believed that after we found a publisher it was all downhill from there, but in reality that’s just where it all began.  The interior artwork for the book needs to be finished before the book goes to print.  And because at this point in time, artists for some reason need to eat, the pages can not be completed for free.  To help fund the completion of the book, we’ve started a Kickstarter campaign.  It’s an all or nothing fund raiser where potential backers are given the opportunity to donate to our cause.  In return, backers will receive some Enter The Hero books, downloads, posters, and other cool stuff. Any help would be much appreciated, so please consider checking it out.  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1709611879/enter-the-hero
You can donate as low as $1, and remember that if we don't reach our goal, no money will be collected.
 
What comics are you reading at the moment?

Right now, I’m kind of in a comic book slump.  I’ve recently fallen off the Spider-Man wagon; things got a little too out of place for me.  I can usually give the title a year, and come back feeling a little better, so we'll see.  I’ve been trying to catch back up with Batman now that he’s no longer dead, but I hadn’t realized how big of a job that would be.  Of course I’m also always browsing through the independent titles looking for a good read, and this is a trend I sincerely recommend.  There are so many titles out there that are not given the attention that they deserve.     
 
Finish the sentence - Comic book nerds are hot because...
Have a look… Nuff said.
Support Michael by donating to the project's
Kickstarter now! Do it for the love of comics!

No comments:

Post a Comment