Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Console Slayer for 12/10/2013

Favorite Consoles


Everyone has their favorite consoles. The ones I had growing up are: NES, Sega Genesis, PS1, Xbox and PS3. Since then I've become a collector and in addition to those I have many more consoles now including: Emerson Arcadia 2001, Magnavox Odyssey 2, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, and PS2. Not to mention handhelds.

The question I'd like to pose today is, what is your favorite console to play and/or collect for and why?

For me, I probably have the most fond memories of my NES and SG. They're probably my favorite systems to play. What do I need to say about these two legendary systems? Both of these systems had great and memorable libraries.

On the other hand, my favorite system to collect for is actually the PS1. I have a lot of fond memories with the PS1 as well. I currently have an original PS1 as well as the PSOne revision. I also currently have approximately 100 complete games in my PS1 library.
The reason this is my favorite console to collect for is two-fold. First, PS1 games are not typically hard to find. There are a lot of them out there so it's easy to get in to collecting for. Secondly, it may be the system that is most affordable to collect for. I've gotten 98% of my PS1 collection on the cheap. The lack of scarcity, affordability and fond memories are reasons that make the PS1 my favorite system to collect for.

So how about it people? What are your favorites?

Today's chiptune is an oldie made new. I didn't grow up playing the Zelda franchise much and only got into it in the last few years. I played the original a bit as a kid and have now played through half of Link to the Past. Few songs in video games conjure up so many memories as well as this song does so in honor of the new Zelda game, a spiritual successor to LttP, A Link Between Worlds, I leave you with the classic 'Overworld theme'.


No comments:

Post a Comment